Nuffnang

Welcome Notes from the Author

This Blog is solely private property of Hanz & TheHoneybunch.All the contents are based on the life we lead and sharing from what I learnt & read. We love homeschool and are happily homeschooling our boys aged 7, 3 and a baby for the past 7 years.

We welcome you to share as we would never stop learning because we believe the world is our classroom. Thank you.



Friday, March 18, 2011

Why I believe in homeschooling (Part 2)


In retrospect, I could recalled how our parents approach education in economic terms, meaning landed a well-prospect career and concerned about getting a job with their certificates so that they could earn comfortable salaries to live a comfortable life. Occupation like doctors, lawyers, engineers and teachers , just to name a few are the noted popular among children,.When we ask little kids what they want to be when they grow up, those jobs are among the answer. I am one of those cookie-cutter children and still remember it very well that my kiddies ambition is to become a doctor. I want to rebel. I want my boys to change the answer when this very same question thrust to them. I want the answer to be, "I want to become a well-rounded person :academically intelligence, emotionally sound and morally in tact" OR simply "I want to be valuable in whatever I am doing in my life"



As a parent, we want the best for our children, right? I believe in my two boy's potential and I also know it very well in what areas they lack. For things that each of my boys are lacking, the approach would be different and it cater to their needs. For things they excel, I simply polish it up, make it shines and keep on shining.Hubs and me have to trust our children and listen to what our hearts tells us and let our intelligences guide us along this journey.

I must admit to homeschool is not an easy task. This decision was thoroughly thought with much weighing on the pros and cons between me and hubs.The choice that we make would be evaluated from time to time.

When I finished reading about homeschool by Malaysian family (even still halfway) of Chong Wai Leng's book, Learning Beyond Schooling, I was excited with all the activities and the ideas that I can line up for my boys. You see, we set the pace, the environment, the tools and in fact, we would become the learner as well. A lot of my friend's who has been homeschooling told me that they learn as well from their children. Likewise, there's an old saying that goes, The best way to know you excel in that particular skills is to teach it back.

Besides, there's one skill that I think most of you would agree with me that our national educational system is lacking. Producing the next generation with creative thinking and problem-solving mind. I would say, it's been ages that the lesson that took place was too exam and grades oriented and not much on hands-on or acquiring knowledge and skills as much as experiences involved. Too spoil and the current generation especially the fresh graduates are spoon-fed. This mindset and attitudes more or less could be associated with how the education system has been going on. That's why we can see the increase number of unemployed graduates.It needs changes or else the alternatives that we have is for you as the parents to be involve and to take an active part on how you want to mold your children.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...